Student Art Contest Rules and Guidelines
Contest is open to all Undergraduates currently enrolled at the University of Utah and children grades K – 12 who are attending public, private, parochial and home schools in the United States of America and children grades K-12 of U.S. military members stationed overseas.
- Artwork must be an original work of the student, created by hand without the use of AI or digital image generation of any kind.
- Original digital artwork is allowed but must be the sole and full creation of the student participant.
- Students must be currently enrolled in grades K – 12 or the University of Utah.
- Artwork is limited to one entry per student.
- Artwork should be submitted as a high resolution (e.g. minimum of 2,400 pixels by 2,400 pixels) image of the student’s original artwork.
- Each file must be under 5 Megabytes in size.
- Artwork must be submitted as a .jpg, .doc, PDF, or .png file.
- Art can represent the following mediums: drawing and painting (i.e., pencil, charcoal, pastels, colored pencils, oil paints, acrylics, water media, mixed media/collage) and original digital creations (which may not include AI or digital image generation of any kind).
- Students may submit a piece of original literary work. This includes Poetry, Short Stories, Essays, Articles, Speeches, Monologues, etc. Pieces must not exceed 3 pages, or over 1,500 words.
- Each piece of Art must be submitted by a parent or legal guardian of the student. If a teacher is submitting a students artwork, you must include a signed permission form with the art work. Click here to download the permission form .
Additional authorizations and requirements are contained in the Official Entry Form that must be acknowledged and agree to with each submission.
The Art Contest submission period begins November 1, 2023, and concludes on January 7th, 2024 at midnight EST. We are asking schools, organizations, and community groups to encourage parents to submit one entry per student. Entries must be submitted using the Jotform on the UtahPresents website. If you are a teacher who would like to submit a student’s artwork, you may do so. However, you will need to have a parent/guardian complete this permission form and include the signed form when submitting art work.
Entries will be evaluated based on originality, interpretation of subject matter/theme, creative techniques, composition, and overall art appearance.
Contest officials will select the top submissions and present them to a panel of five judges. Those judges will make selections based on the above-mentioned criteria to determine which pieces will be awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention.
Submission Terms & Agreement
When submitting artwork, you must agree to the following terms and conditions. They have been listed here for your convenience but are also available for review when you submit artwork.
I certify that the submission, including text and illustrations, and any ancillary material were made by the Applicant indicated, and were not copied from another work, photograph, illustration or website, nor made by another. I represent that this submission does not infringe any third-party intellectual property rights, nor does it contain any material that is defamatory, vulgar, or otherwise inappropriate. I give permission for UtahPresents to use, publish, distribute copies to the public, perform publicly, and display publicly the submission, including text and illustrations, and any ancillary material, including but not limited to, Applicant’s name, school, grade/level of study, and any photographs and/or videos containing the Applicant’s image and/or voice, for all purposes deemed appropriate by UtahPresents. UtahPresents may distribute the submission, including text and illustrations, and any ancillary material through a variety of media, including but not limited to print, television, websites, or any other means. UtahPresents may also permit a third party to exercise UtahPresents’s rights, including but not limited to the right to display or distribute the submission, including text and illustrations, and any ancillary material, in a manner UtahPresents deems appropriate.
I understand that my submission may be eligible for appearance at Kingsbury Hall, The Center for Student Equity and Belonging, and other locations if selected, but that no compensation of any kind will be paid by UtahPresents or any of its authorized third parties to use, reproduce, prepare derivative works, publish, distribute, perform publicly and/or display publicly the submission, any ancillary material, or student information, image or voice as provided for in this agreement. I hereby unconditionally release UtahPresents, its employees, UtahPresent’s contractors and their employees, and representatives from any and all claims and demands arising out of the activities authorized under this agreement.
I certify I am at least 18 years of age (or have parent permission) and have read the foregoing Official Rules and fully understand and agree to the contents.